United Firefighters of Los Angeles City Fire Foundation
Grants and Scholarships
Please click HERE to fill out the on-line application.
Please click HERE to download a PDF application.
The United Firefighters of Los Angeles City Fire Foundation (UFLACFF) Grant and Scholarship Program provides educational assistance to fire service members and their immediate families.
The UFLACFF will be awarding the following grants and scholarships twice in year 2022:
Two – $2,000 grants/scholarship
Four – $1,000 grants/scholarships
Four – $500 grants/scholarships
The Applicant must be an active firefighter, or a dependent of an active firefighter, wishing to further their education, or in need of assistance with tuition, books, materials, trade specific tools or equipment, internet access etc.
*An active firefighter or his or her immediate family member is eligible for an Award Grant once every 12-month period.
Applicants seeking a Scholarship or Grant Award must complete the application packet and forward it to UFLACFF by the application closing date. Applications may be submitted by e-mail to [email protected] or mailed to:
United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, IAFF Local #112
c/o UFLACFF Scholarship/Grant Program
1571 W Beverly Blvd, Suite 201
Los Angeles, CA 90026
Application closing date HAS BEEN EXTENDED until November 15, 2022 for the December 2022 distribution.
Application Packets include:
- Completed Application
- Jpeg photo for our files and to use in Foundation related material.
- A brief essay (500 word maximum, typed or written and clearly legible) prepared by the applicant or the parent/guardian. The essay should include how the award will benefit his or her life and serve others in the future, listing their area of study, last grade completed and the school of their choice for their higher education purposes.
- Biography (2 page maximum).
Applications will be evaluated, and awards granted based on the information provided by the applicant, by the UFLACFF Awards Committee (comprised of Foundation Board Members), active firefighter (non-Board members) and the UFLACFF Advisory Committee. The name, and any personal identifying information of the applicant, will be redacted prior to review by the committee.
Funding for the grants and scholarships is made possible by UFLACFF, a 501 (c) (3) Charitable Organization, created by United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, IAFF Local 112 (UFLAC) to assist firefighters and the families of firefighters. Donations from Supporters of UFLACFF and UFLAC Local 112, have been designated specifically to support these opportunities for firefighters and their immediate families.
Awards and Grants Amount and Distribution
- Each Grant Award is based on the specific needs of each applicant
- Awards will be announced in the months of July 2022 and December of 2022
- Awards will be made directly to the applicant, if over age 18, or to the parents/guardians of a minor child
Special thank you to the main Education Grant sponsors & our supporters!
- Matthew and Miho Blumkin – The Blumkin Family Foundation
- Ed Avaness – Miller Kaplan
- Jennifer Lincicum – Fickewirth
- Aaron Straussner & Julie Sherman
- UFLAC Fire Foundation
- Brian and Mary Ann Hishinuma – Retired – LAFD
- Chris Want, UFLAC
- Razmig Bolkorjian
- Marian Hishinuma
- Gold Lee – Lewis, Marenstein, Sherwin & Lee
- Jimmy Blackman & Associates
- Sandra Jackson – Greenspan Co./Adjusters International
- Maria Riggs – UFLAC
- Chris Wann – UFLAC
UFLAC Executive Board
On August 24, 2022, the UFLAC Fire Foundation announced another round of scholarship award winners. These individuals come from local firefighter families and they applied for UFLAC Fire Foundation scholarships to assist in their educational and career pursuits.
The following individuals were presented with their scholarships at the General Membership meeting:
$2,000 Award Winners
Tristan G Kennedy
Jared T Steinman
$1,000 Award Winners
Adrienne L Walker
Aidan J Byrne
Caitlyn N Connolly
Luke H Taggart
$500 Award Winners
Leia C Alvarado
Jake D Petersen
Hadley M Goodwin
Austin D Ladd
On January 26, 2022, the UFLAC Fire Foundation awarded 10 Education and Support Grants at the General Membership Meeting. The Grants are awarded two times per year but due to staffing issues and COVID the awards could not be presented until January 2022. Selection for the awards are based on the essay submitted with emphasis on need, sincerity and service to others. The awardees included individuals who were pursuing higher education and training to pursue new careers. The UFLAC Foundation proudly present the following Awardees: